Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 24

Saturday after work I raced from Venice to Hollywood (well you can't really race in a city bus, but you know what i mean) in my gigantic fake fur coat (thanks Matt) for Dia de los Muertos at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. As soon as I got off the bus I saw that the sidewalk was packed with street vendors selling bacon wrapped hot dogs (bye bye rat dogs!) and other traditional Mexican food. I was starving and can never resist the allure of the portable kitchen so I found the only vegan thing I could find: a huarache stuffed with beans. I asked if there was lard in it and she said no, but really, how could I know for certain? Anyway it was delicious and spicy and kept me satisfied for a bit. Dia de los Muertos was amazing, I wish I hadn't spent half the time in line for the bathroom. I met up with my friend Ck and her posse and as it turned out, half of the group was veggie and the other half wasn't. I was pretty happy with that ratio. After the event everyone was hungry so we went to Swingers on Beverly. Swingers is a great veggie friendly place, especially in the wee sma. I ordered the veggie wrap which was yummy, but didn't have enough of filling. The sauteed quinoa that came on the side made up for it though. They don't mess around with their grains.

1 comment: