Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 5

The day that I intentionally violated my veganism.

I really didn’t want to talk about this, but I have personal standards about full disclosure and they have something to do with the fact that I am Queen of TMI-land.

My boyfriend was sick in bed on Monday and when he started to feel better he requested macaroni and cheese. We didn’t have any in the house so I had to make it from scratch. Well, you can’t very well make anything from scratch without testing along the way, so I tasted it as it was cooking: over and over again. I should mention that, historically mac and cheese has been one of my all-time favorite foods. So while I felt guilty, I was also patting myself on the back for making an outstanding mac and cheese from scratch (which I’ve done before, but I use a new recipe/method every time.) Anyway, once I plated his portion I put the rest away so I wouldn’t be tempted into having a bowl myself. All in all I probably scarfed a good 5 or 6 tablespoons, which may be a full portion in itself.

That evening I attempted to redeem myself by making a fully vegan dinner for him and my new roommate (who happens to be a chef) of beet salad with fig dressing, beet quesadilla with tofutti, and almond fig cous cous. It was as delicious as, if not more than, the mac and cheese. And damned healthier too, shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment